Measat Deploys Cisco UHD Encoders
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA: MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn. Bhd. (MEASAT), has chosen Cisco® AnyRes Live ultra-high-definition (UHD) encoders to launch its ultra-high-definition (4K) viewing experience. This marks the first deployment by satellite of a 24-hour English-language ultra-HD channel.
4K provides a significant jump in clarity and detail, with its 8.3 million pixels able to deliver vivid colors and picture details of the highest quality and display a virtually flawless picture even when viewed up close. The 4K service will be especially welcome as viewers are becoming increasingly used to high-resolution images, as well as the pixels generated by today's Retina-style HD screens on mobile devices.
As ultra-high-definition viewing increases, Cisco is redefining the video viewing experience, offering best-in-class quality for real-time media delivery applications such as live sports and 24-hour programming delivered in 4K.
Cisco’s reliable and comprehensive platform can be scaled up to stream multiple formats to any device, including iPhones, iPads, feature phones and smartphones, as well as delivering pristine ultra-HD video to any size television screen.
Technical highlights: Cisco AnyRes Live ultra-high-definition (UHD) encoders deliver:
- Highest-quality encoding using an HEVC/H.265 codec developed by Cisco
- Wide range of frame rates from 24 fps all the way up to 60 fps
- Virtually flawless pictures achieved with 10-bit color depth
- Reliable transmission with an UHD input front end offering robust synchronization to the live signal feeds
- Standard-definition, high-definition, full HD or multiformat average bit rate (ABR) encoding using H.264 as well as H.265
- Various baseband graphics-processing features, including logo insertion
Powered by the Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS®), Cisco AnyRes Live ultra-high-definition (UHD) encoders enhance reliability, promise a faster time to market, and provide the strongest technical foundation for the 4K infrastructure.