LeSports Wins NBA Rights For Hong Kong
LeSports, part of Chinese tech giant LeEco, has added to its portfolio of exclusive sports rights in Hong Kong, signing a five-year deal with the NBA.
For the last six years, NBA rights were with Now TV, the city’s incumbent pay-TV platform.
The deal with LeSports includes NBA and NBA team branded smart devices, as well as carriage for the league’s dedicated channel NBA TV.
The acquisition also continues LeSports spending spree as it rolls out a new OTT service in Hong Kong, adding to other top-tier rights including the English Premier League and Major League Baseball.
Hong Kong mobile operator 3, which already offers its subs a 24-month LeSports pack, also unveiled a LeSports NBA Pass, again for 24 months, at HK$39 (US$5.0) per month.
Existing 3 Super Sports Pack customers can also watch more than 100 NBA games per season as part of their subscription.
LeSports will launch its NBA service at the beginning of October, ahead of the start of the next season on October 25.
Press releases in full below:
NBA And LeSports HK To Provide Most Expansive NBA Coverage Ever In Hong Kong And Macau
- LeSports HK to Deliver NBA Games and Programming Through Smart TV, Over-The-Top Set-Top Boxes and Mobile Devices
- LeSports HK Becomes NBA’s Largest Partner Ever in Hong Kong and Macau -
HONG KONG, Sept. 14, 2016 – The National Basketball Association (NBA) and LeSports HK, a leading ecosystem-based over-the-top sports broadcaster in Hong Kong, today announced a multiyear partnership to provide the most expansive NBA coverage ever in Hong Kong and Macau. The new deal represents the largest ever for the NBA in Hong Kong and Macau and will include NBA content across smart TV, over-the-top set-top boxes and mobile devices effective Oct. 1, 2016.
The announcement was made today in Hong Kong by LeSports Chief Operating Officer Yu Hang, Le Holdings (Beijing) Co. Ltd. Vice President and APAC CEO Tin Mok, LeSports HK Acting CEO Lai Yu Ching, NBA China Chief Operating Officer Collins Qian and NBA Senior Vice President, Global Media Distribution and Business Operations Matthew Brabants, with NBA Champion and 10-time NBA All-Star Clyde Drexler in attendance. Drexler, who met with fans following the announcement, will host a basketball clinic for 23 boys and girls in Hong Kong tomorrow.
As the Official Media Partner of the NBA in Hong Kong and Macau, LeSports HK will provide fans with access to more live games than ever before, including more than 400 games each year. Coverage will include regular-season and playoff NBA games, NBA All-Star, the NBA Conference Finals, the NBA Finals, the NBA Draft, as well as original NBA programming including NBA Inside Stuff, Inside the NBA, Hardwood Classic games and more. LeSports HK will carry the league’s 24/7 dedicated channel, NBA TV, on its platform.
“The NBA is the most popular basketball league in the world and has an avid fanbase in Hong Kong,” said Lai. “This cooperation with the NBA is a significant step in LeSports HK’s efforts to bring major international sports content to our audience. We want to offer the highest quality basketball to the fans in Hong Kong and Macau and help promote and develop the sport.”
“We have very passionate and knowledgeable fans in Hong Kong and Macau,” said NBA China CEO David Shoemaker. “Through this partnership with LeSports HK, we look forward to delivering more live games and content than ever before to our fanbase in the region.”
Fans can subscribe via http://www.lesports.com or call subscription hotline +852 30183388 to access NBA content beginning Oct. 1, 2016.
NBA and LeSports HK will offer NBA and NBA team-branded Smart TVs, over-the-top devices and mobile devices designed by LeSports HK.
3 Hong Kong First To Launch 24-month LeSports NBA Pass So Customers Can Watch 500+ Basketball Games Per NBA season
Hong Kong, 14 September 2016 - 3 Hong Kong, the mobile division of Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings Limited (HTHKH; stock code: 215), today announced launch of the 24-month LeSports NBA Pass on 16 September so customers can watch 500-plus spectacular NBA matches via 3 Hong Kong’s smooth and stable 4G LTE network.
This year-long basketball banquet includes at least two live broadcasts of regular season matches per day, plus NBA Playoff matches, the Conference Finals and NBA Finals, NBA TV, NBA original programming and classic clashes.
Live coverage of all NBA Playoff matches plus the Conference Finals and NBA Finals
Today’s LeSports NBA Pass news follows launch of the Super Sports Data Pack and Super Sports and Entertainment Pack and will further enrich mobile sports content already provided by 3 Hong Kong.
Starting 1 October, 3 Hong Kong customers subscribing to the LeSports NBA Pass can watch bygone matches via the official NBA TV channel. And customers can watch at least two live matches a day – subject to the NBA’s schedule – after the NBA season begins on 26 October. Delivery platforms include the official LeSports Hong Kong website (hk.lesports.com), as well as a mobile app, LeEco smart TV or a LeEco TV box. What’s more, video on demand will be provided for viewers wanting to replay their favourite matches.
Jennifer Tan, Chief Operating Officer of Hutchison Telecommunications Hong Kong Holdings Limited, said: “3 Hong Kong constantly searches for a rich variety of programming with the aim of offering customers a truly top-notch TV and entertainment experience – and we achieve this by partnering with a number of leading content providers.”
She added: “Our ongoing collaboration with LeSports Hong Kong enables us to be first to launch the LeSports NBA Pass, so our customers can watch spectacular basketball action and get instant match updates via 3 Hong Kong’s superior network.”
Watch NBA matches in HD for $39 a month
Starting 16 September, new customers subscribing to 3 Hong Kong’s monthly plans with handset subscription, along with existing select customers, can subscribe to the LeSports NBA Pass by agreeing to a 24-month contract for $39 a month to watch more than 500 NBA matches each NBA season. Those already subscribing to the Super Sports Data Pack and Super Sports and Entertainment Pack for 12 months or more can watch 100-plus NBA matches each season, without further subscription to the NBA pass.
Starting 1 October, 3Home Broadband customers can also subscribe to the LeSports NBA Pass by entering into a 24-month contract for $39 a month. Those already subscribing to the Home Entertainment Super Pack × Super Sports Pack, 3Home Broadband Super Sports Pack and 3Home Broadband Super Sports × Fun Pack can watch more than 100 NBA matches each season, without further subscription to the NBA pass.
All matches will be broadcast in HD format, with most covered by the LeSports NBA Pass providing commentary in Cantonese. Top commentators include Edcon Gabriel Yau, Peter Cheung, Matthew Mui, Leung Kwok-shing, Tsui Ka-lok, Yung Kam-wah, Calvin Pui and Emil Cheung. They will analyse team tactics, assisting viewers to understand how competitive strategies are shaping up.
Please call the sales hotline on 1032 or contact an iChat online ambassador at 3ichat.three.com.hk for more information on the 24-month LeSports NBA Pass. Alternatively, please visit the 3 Hong Kong webpage at www.three.com.hk or 3 Hong Kong’s Facebook fanpage at www.facebook.com/threehk.
LeSports NBA Pass Terms and Conditions
- The Service will be provided by LeTV Sports Culture Develop (Hong Kong) Co., Limited ("LeSports HK") subject to the relevant terms and conditions, please visit LeSports HK (hk.lesports.com) for the service terms and conditions (in Chinese only). For any enquiry or complaint relating to the Service, please contact LeSports HK’s customer service hotline at 3956-6666. The decision of LeSports HK shall be final and conclusive in case of any dispute. LeSports HK may terminate the Service or change any of the terms and conditions relating to the Service at any time without further notice.
- The official mobile application of “LeSports HK” is only be applicable to the operation system of Android 4.0 or later, iOS 8.0 or later. The suggested bandwidth requirement to access the Service contents via mobile application is 1.8Mbps or above.
- Once the customer has successfully subscribed for the Service, it shall be subject to the terms and conditions relating to the Service as contained herein, and shall also be subject to the 3G and 4G LTE Service Terms and Conditions of HTCL which can be found on HTCL’s website http://www.three.com.hk/ è Terms & Policies è3G and 4G LTE Service Terms and Conditions. If there is any conflict between the terms and conditions relating to the Service as contained herein and the 3G and 4G LTE Service Terms and Conditions of HTCL, the former shall prevail.
- 3Home Broadband LeSports NBA Pass is only applicable to new customers or existing customers at selected buildings and subject to successful installation of Home Broadband at the same installation address. If customer terminates 3Home Broadband Service, the LeSports NBA Pass will be terminated at the same time without prior notice. If the customer terminates the Service before expiry of the fixed contract period, the customer shall have to pay to HGC an early termination charge which amount to the aggregate of the monthly service fee payable for the remaining fixed contract term. For 3Home Broadband terms and conditions, please visit www.threebb.com.hk
Source: 3 Hong Kong